The Employment and Settlement Committee of the African Canadian Federation of London and Area (ACFOLA) held its first annual Health and Safety Fair on Saturday, October 31, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. This event was held in the Labatt Lounge and Market Hall on the mezzanine of the Covent Garden Market at 130 King Street in downtown London. The community at large was welcome to participate in this event.
We would like to thank all volunteers from the Settlement and Employment Committee for putting together a very successful and inspiring Health & Safety Fair. We’d also like to thank our wonderful guest speaker Michelle Hurtubise, Executive Director of London InterCommunity Health Centre who shared valuable information and all participating organizations for being part of the success! We hope to keep this going annually and see more of you next year!
Objectives of the Fair included:
• To increase health awareness and disease prevention in the community by providing health screenings, educational information and related activities
• To connect the African community to health services and resources
• To increase awareness of local, provincial and national health services and resources
• To motivate African participants to make healthy, positive changes in their behaviour
• To teach self-care practices